- City Services
- Nelson Police Department
- Sworn Exempt Officers
Sworn Exempt Officers
The Nelson Police Department is currently accepting applications at this time for experienced sworn exempt Members. Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please ensure, and be able to submit proof, that you meet the following minimum requirements to apply to become an Officer with the Nelson Police Department prior to application.
- 19+ years of age
- No criminal record
- Valid Basic First Aid Certificate and CPR
- Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Minimum of one year post-secondary education preferred
- Valid British Columbia driver’s licence (class 5)
- Physically fit, able to pass the POPAT (Police Officer’s Physical Abilities Test)
- Meet hearing requirement: Must have no greater loss than 30 db in both ears in the 500-3000 Hz range
- Meet vision requirement:
- Must have unaided vision of not less than 20/40 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye;
- Vision should be correctable with approved vision aide to a minimum 20/20 both eyes open with no one eye poorer than 20/30;
- Colour vision must pass the Ishihara test or the Farnsworth D-15 test;
Note: Applicants having corrective laser surgery must wait one month post surgery before applying.
Exempt candidate (currently serving or experienced) criteria, as set out by the Justice Institute of British Columbia includes:
- Certified British Columbia Constable from a recognized police agency.
- Regular serving member of a Canadian Police force or have been a serving member of a Canadian Police force during the preceding 36 months.
- Successful completion of the B.C. Provincial Exemption Exam.
- An exemplary service record with your current or past police agency.
For your safety and the safety of others, you will be required to demonstrate proof of full vaccination for COVID-19
prior to beginning work with the Nelson Police Department.